Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Exercise by any other name is...a mood lifter

I've been having some problems with my emotions lately. Depression, blues, funk - call it what you will. Funny thing...I feel better today and I think there is direct correlation with my physical activity.


Saturday Tom and I did interval training for a half hour together. I immediately felt better. Then Sunday and Monday I worked in the yard, doing strenuous bush trimming and hauling for at least an hour and a half a day.


The result being, the last few days I've slept better, woken earlier and felt better. Emotionally, I mean. More optimistic, more hopeful. Not that the cloud cover has totally cleared, but there are rays of sunlight glinting through.


Some truths are so simple. To lose weight, exercise more and eat less. When you suffer from emotional lows, exercise releases endorphins that ease the pain.


Would that all truths would be so simple. Or rather, would that even these truths were as easy to implement as they are to understand. Could it be, I wonder, that my body is sending me into these downward spirals to force me to get active as a desperate act of self-preservation? I wouldn't be surprised. We are, after all, fearfully and wonderfully made.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home